Thursday, December 10, 2009

Macaron Fail

Ok. So I was overly ambitious on trying to make not one but TWO colors of macarons on my first attempt. Actually, maybe that wasn't the problem. The problem was I guess-timated the proportions when I was splitting the mix as oppose to measuring it out carefully.

The first batch (green ones if you care) turned out too watery and it just turned into a giant blob of almond crisp (it actually doesn't taste bad).

Attempting to fix this problem, on the second round (pink ones) I added an arbitrary amount of almond meal to the mix. This seems to have fix the consistency issue. The beautiful dome-shaped macaron-halves did not collapse on me this time. After baking, it also formed the "macaron feet" - a phenomenon that I was looking forward to. Everything seemed to be rather successful on the second round until I tried to remove them from the foil.

oh dear. I forgot to grease the foil.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NONE of them would come off! I had to scoop them off with a butter knife! This of course ruins the smooth shells of the macarons. They're all cracked and jammed beyond oblivion. I am so disgusted at my own mishap that I ended up throwing the whole batch away. Urgh. Another try some other day I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment